Home » Application Process » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

Please see Application Process.

I am interested in the program but do not currently work with a VECD institution. Can I apply?

The VECD fellowship requires the support of a VECD institution. Our typical trainee is from one of our institutions and/or has a history of collaboration/mentorship from a faculty member that is part of the VECD consortium. However, If you are an external applicant and would like to be considered for support by a VECD mentor, please email a copy of your CV and your research interests to donna.j.ingles@vanderbilt.edu. We are unable to provide mentors and support for all external applicants, but we will contact you if a potential VECD site has been identified that is interested in working with you to apply for the fellowship.

Other programs that accept external applicants:
UNC Consortium Global Health Fellows Program
Doris Duke International Clinical Research Fellows (open to U.S. medical students)
GloCal Fellowship (open to University of California system applicants)
Fulbright-Fogarty Fellowships (open to U.S. students and post-doctoral trainees)

I am interested in pursuing a degree, does VECD provide degree training or scholarships?

The VECD fellowship program is not a degree granting program. This fellowship is a mentored research training fellowship, and support is not provided for degree training.

My schedule will not allow for me to spend 12 months overseas in one year.  Can I still apply?

This fellowship requires fellows to spend 12 months at their LMIC training site. If you believe you have a compelling reason to be exempt from this rule (U.S. applicants living and/or working at the LMIC site at time of application, for example), please contact the VECD Support Center prior to submitting an application.